Not what you're looking for? CLICK HERE INSTEAD

The response to the question below was authored by Marc Mitnick DPM

Bubble under skin feet.

by Veeree gongthong

warts or porokeratosis

warts or porokeratosis

Two months ago I found that there are some small bubble under my skin feet. first 5 on left and 2 on right but now 10 on left and 4 on right. They are not all together. In the middle of sole are biggest one. It is grow bigger under my skin and it is not bulge out. My surface skin look fine. When I press on it. It hurts. When they are bigger it is more hurt when i walk or stand for long time. I try to use needle into it. but there are no juice come out. I use plaster acid on it. only skin come out but not bubble one. Still there are some new one come too. How can i get it away? But sometime is not hurt at all while I am walking but someday it hurt so much while I am walking. When I sit for rest and keep move again it is hurt less. How can I treat them?

How can I protect not happen more? I use acid for wart. Does it will help? In the picture I did not use acid yet. but because the thick skin. Acid does not go in it.


Hi Veeree,

The two most common causes of multiple growths on the bottom of the feet would include warts or possibly
porokeratosis .

Looking at just one lesion it appears to be more porokeratosis than wart. A porokeratosis is essentially a plugged sweat gland. Feet have 250,000 sweat glands; that is why they perspire so much. Excessive perspiration coupled with excessive pressure on some of these growths, along with the friction of walking on them than cause one or more of them to "plug" up. Most people will relate a feeling of feeling like they have a stone in their shoe, all the time.

The pain is usually worse if a person is walking barefoot on a hard floor like tile or wood and will feel better
walking on carpeting. Secondly, wearing a thin soled shoe like a dress shoe will cause more pain than if an individual is wearing sneakers or any other type of shoe with a cushioned innersole.

This is a benign condition that is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Applying acid preparations that you purchase in a drug store is usually not effective simply because the acid is not strong enough to soften the growth as the growth is being pushed into the skin. In most cases, having the growth curetted out (carved out) by a foot specialist can go a long way in relieving the pain. Treatment of this nature may be temporary or permanent in relieving the symptoms. I have some patients who come in somewhat regularly to have these treated, while others have found one treatment did the trick for them.

Wearing a cushioned innersole in your shoes may also go a long way in reducing the symptoms but will not rid you of the actual porokeratosis.

Injections of 4% denatured alcohol injections may also help this problem by sclerosing or deadening the lesion. Although I use 4% denatured alcohol injections for other foot problems, I have never actually used them on porokeratosis, simply because it can be a very painful injection going into the bottom of the foot and having to give multiple injections at multiple sites.

As I stated previously, they appear to be porokeratosis but there is also the possibility that they are warts or even a remote chance they are something else.

You should not take my diagnosis as a true diagnosis. My best advice to you would be to see a local doctor in your area and have the lesions examined to confirm that they are nothing more than a benign growth. For that reason and for the other reason that I do not think you are going to be able to treat them yourself, a doctor's appointment would be advisable.

Marc Mitnick DPM

Click here to post comments

Return to Ask the doctor.


Mayo Clinic

Johns Hopkins Medicine


Arthritis Foundation

University of Rochester Medical Center

Harvard Health

American Academy of Pediatrics

Penn State Medical Center

National Institutes of Health

Columbia University Department of Rehabilitation


Stanford Health Care

Illinois Bone and Joint Institute

Mount Sinai Hospital

Institute for Chronic Pain

University of Florida Health

American Family Physician


University of Maryland Medical Center

privacy policy